18.07.2022 06:46
pattyedge
portfolio

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could share the bes way to create a gradient wash in watercolour. I ave fiddled with brush settings and pressure but can't seem to get a smoothe gradient. I can if Inuse my blending brush but wondered if there was a belter way? Thanks in advance.

21.07.2022 02:13
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hi @pattyedge,

Tom Gallovich explains the step-by-step process of a graded wash in this video:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dLkOb0EzsCU" width="560" height="314" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Hope this helps!

15.08.2022 08:29
pattyedge
portfolio

Thanks, sorry I didn't realise that we don't get notified of replies and have only just seen this.

16.12.2022 03:40
alreb
portfolio

I am a bit late on this topic but, if it's of some interest still, I can show a different approach.

Results may vary and not be as smooth but there is no need to use the blend brush 

the process is really simple and open to experimentation and happy accidents.

Alessandro

16.12.2022 10:12
Lokrinn
portfolio

Maybe you can share the process )

16.12.2022 01:12
alreb
portfolio

Oh sure, I just didn't know if anybody was interested.

it's just a matter of using the tilt feature of Rebelle and let 'nature', or physics, do their thing.

i use a brush with high wetness, obviously, pause the diffusion and apply the paint and let the two colors touch themselves, you could let them overlap completely or just a bit, it's up to you and this leads to various degrees of effects.

anyway the main ingredient is the tilt feature, a high amount of it makes the water naturally flow, so when you un-pause the diffusion the wash happens and the colors mix.

I am not on the pc now, so I will be more specific or even post a small video later.

16.12.2022 02:46
alreb
portfolio

Another element to consider is the visual settings you use, I personally have re-wet to 3/4 and absorbency to 7, but tweaking these parameters affects your results so play with them and see what happens.

as I said the washes done this way aren't as smooth as in the video from Gallovich but they appeal to me more, other people may feel differently.

Alessandro

17.12.2022 07:35
Lokrinn
portfolio

Thank you very much, I did the same, but it didn't work like you did.

17.12.2022 06:04
alreb
portfolio

Sorry to hear that, stay tuned because I'll post a brief video about it.

17.12.2022 11:36
alreb
portfolio

Hoping this is helpul, here you can see my setting:

and here one of the infinite ways you could overlap your colours,

in the meantime i'll try to figure out how to post videos here.