16.10.2022 02:54
michaelws
portfolio

This might be hard to explain.  In traditional painting I use an old short-bristle brush to tap (pounce) lightly on the canvas to create textures, like leaves on a distant tree.  If I simply held the brush in one position and tapped on the canvas it would make a boring repetitive texture.  So I would rotate the brush and tilt it on each tap in order to have different parts of the brush tip touch the canvas thereby creating a variety of dabs.

Here is a sample of a brush tip I would use.  Sometimes I would actuallymush (press) the brush tip into the palm of my hand tp distress the brush, bend the bristles to create a variety or randomness to them.

brush tip

I would also use a sea-sponge to create surface texture.  When I would hold the sponge between my fingers it would round up the tip, make it bulge into a dome-like tip.  Then I could change the dab effect on each dab or tap or pounce by changing the angle of the sponge thereby having a different part of the sponge surface making contact with the canvas...varying the texture and keep it from being repetitive and boring.

Is there a way to program that type of thing into a custom brush tip shape and/or grain?

Thanks for considering and please let me know if I explained it clearly.

16.10.2022 03:07
michaelws
portfolio

Here are a couple of samples of those effects.

dabs

16.10.2022 03:31
michaelws
portfolio

Here is a link to a video showing the artist, Michael James Smith using different brushes and using different tapping techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZhAtidSoBg

24.10.2022 10:14
fanton
portfolio

I agree - this would be very useful indeed

07.11.2022 04:49
Kavukamari
portfolio

wow, cool effect, reminds me of a "matcap" texture, the tilt angle could be seen as a "normal vector" that samples the texture at a certain point, i feel like the implementation would be similar, if not the same, mapping the tilt normal to be inside the texture so that when you tilt the brush, it samples that area when it paints